Learn about the history of Family amusement park De Waarbeek in Hengelo (OV)
Somewhere in the woods between Hengelo and Enschede De Waarbeek finds its origin. On Easter Monday 1924, “Theehuis De Waarbeek” opened its doors there. The land was bought in mid-1923 by the brothers Jan Hendrik and Herman Smit during the public sale at the request of the heirs H. Hulshoff Pol from Hengelo. Hulshoff Pol had laid out an English garden on these grounds in earlier years, including two ponds. One of these ponds has long been used as a boating lake.
There was also a tennis court with a gazebo in this English garden. The park was then no more than a playground. In the early years, it was possible to walk through a forest to De Waarbeek from De Waarbeek station, which was located near the chain bridge road on the railway between Hengelo and Enschede. “De Rodelbaan” was placed as one of the first major attractions. The Rodelbaan, in reality a roller coaster, was built in 1930 by the park “De Waarbeek” itself and is considered one of the oldest working steel roller coasters in the world.
In 2019, the Waarbeek exists 95 years and has been transformed into a true amusement park. Over the years, De Waarbeek has added a wide variety of attractions, such as: the bumper cars, the Hully Gully, the Bungee and the Toffe Twister. For the little ones there are the Lazy Pumpkin, the Duck Carousel and the Rail Train. And this attraction offer continues to expand!
For more information about the history of the Waarbeek or to request a speaking engagement, mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org.